About Harbor House
Quality Control and Efficient use of Resources…
Harbor House of Jackson, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation which provides substance abuse treatment services to adult males and females. Harbor House is governed by a 10-member Board of Directors. Founded in 1973, this non-profit has provided sustained and expanded services for over 47 years. Consistent with its founders and mission, Harbor House is committed to the provision of affordable and accessible community- based treatment. Harbor House is an 82-bed residential treatment facility serving both adult males and females. Harbor House’s mission is to offer a continuum of quality, affordable and effective chemical dependency treatment services and programs for adults and their families, including those who cannot afford private treatment facilities.
The targeted geographical area served by Harbor House is the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). This is the largest MSA in Mississippi; and includes five counties with a population of 586,166. Based on national estimates, Harbor House has a potential target population of 58,000 substance abusers.1
Treatment at Harbor House is comprehensive and evidence- based. The continuum of care includes Primary Residential, Transitional and Recovery Support Services. DUI Diagnostic Assessment is also available as needed. Clinical services are evidence-based and grounded in the Twelve Steps Philosophy. Specifically, the 12 Step Facilitation Model and Motivational Interviewing are the modalities utilized in primary treatment. The transitional program is designed to provide individuals who have successfully completed primary care with a safe and supportive environment for continuing recovery in preparation for return to family and community. Recovery Support is person-focused and seeks to assure that recovering individuals and their families have the health, home, and employment, educational and social supports necessary for productive and meaningful community engagement.
In addition to its substance abuse treatment delivery system, Harbor House fulfills unmet needs for other health providers in the metro area. It is the only community-based substance abuse program in Mississippi which serves as the inpatient unit for a regional mental health center. Harbor House also provides ancillary services for the Veterans’ Administration Hospital and University of Mississippi Medical Center. Further, Substance Abuse Block Grant funding is received from the MS Department of Mental Health, Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
While maintaining an unequivocal commitment to affordable and accessible substance abuse treatment services, Harbor House is also committed to quality. To this end, the program is certified by the Mississippi Department of Mental Health and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). As a CARF certified program, Harbor House is part of an international cadre of service providers who have met rigorous quality standards for service delivery. Further, program quality is undergirded by fiscal stewardship. In the midst of economic downturns, funding reductions and periodic census declines, Harbor House has diversified
its revenue streams and has thereby maintained financially solvency.
1 Jackson, MS Metropolitan Statistical Area, retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org
SWOT ANALYSIS FINDINGS
RECOMMENDED STRATEGIC INITIATIVE AND WORK PLAN
- Third-Party Revenue Systems– Assess established requirements and associated costs for implementing a billing system that allows for Third-Party reimbursement, Medicaid, Grantsmanship, and future program development.
- Credentialing– Assess the degree and certification credentialing needs of Harbor House to develop and implement a plan consistent with established standards for a Trauma Informed Care Model and allowing for Third-party reimbursement.
- Transition from a Chemical Dependency Organization to a Behavioral Health Organization– Conduct a behavioral health assessment to develop and implement a marketing strategy to re-brand Harbor House as a behavioral health facility.
- Expansion of Telehealth Services– Develop and implement a plan that creates a telehealth options, encompassing all program services, capable of working through COVID-19 barriers for our patients, their families, and our stakeholders.
- Development of Long-term Residential Programs Business Plan– Research and evaluate all aspects of successful desired program models on a national level to complete an assessment of requirements and associated cost of implementing long-term residential services.
Monitoring progress-The Agency will track progress through a Continuos Quality Work Plans that will provide metrics and updates that will be given to the Board of Directors and HH Employees every six months. See the Continuous Quality Work Plan for each initiative.
5354 I-55 South Frontage Road East Jackson, Mississippi 39272