a time to prepare for your journey…
What should I bring?
** Absolutely no aerosol products or any product that includes alcohol will be allowed in the facility (cologne, perfume, mouthwash, aftershave, body spray, etc.)**
- Photo ID or your social security card.
- Medical Insurance card for outside medical appointments.
- Five to seven days of comfortable/casual clothing and undergarments. Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be knee-length or lower and belts are required for pants.
- Pajamas, robe, and slippers (optional).
- One to two pairs of closed shoes (e.g., sneakers, casual).
- One pair of shower shoes.
- Eyeglasses and/or contacts, if required.
- Two to three bath towels and washcloths.
- Personal hygiene products (e.g., shaving cream, disposable razors, shampoo, soap, talcum powder, lotion, mouthwash without alcohol, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and feminine hygiene products). Note: Limited to twenty items due to space.
- Hair dryers will be permitted and checked for safety.
- One bottle of liquid laundry detergent.
- 30-day supply (with refills) of current approved non-narcotic medication and/or written prescriptions of current medications.
- Enough money for your entire stay. A refillable debit card is highly recommended.
- One drinking cup with a lid.
- Favorite twin sheets, comforter, and pillow may be brought, or these will be provided.
- Photos of family and friends.
- One laundry basket or bag.
- Clothes hangers (optional).
- Stationery supplies, such as writing paper, black ink pens, stamps, and envelopes.
- Recovery related reading material, such as recovery-oriented books, self-help literature, AA/NA literature, religious works, and so forth.
- Unopened cigarette packs and/or cartons. Note: Please bring enough for your entire stay.
- Umbrella or raincoat
Family members and/or friends may bring approved items to the facility during weekdays for their own family member and/or friend. HIPAA prohibits individuals from receiving items from anyone other than their own family members and/or friends. No visitations will be allowed when items are delivered, and anything that is delivered will be collected and inspected by a staff member prior to delivery to clients.
Individuals are responsible for their own personal belongings. Harbor House is not responsible for any loss, theft, or damage to an individual’s belongings.
Family members and/or friends will only be allowed to bring one bag of additional items due to space limitations at the facility. If any illicit/illegal drugs are found hidden in an individual’s belongings, the individual and the person bringing in their belongings will face immediate consequences, which may include immediate dismissal from the program and being permanently banned from the facility.
What should I leave at home?
- Aerosol products or any product that includes alcohol, i.e., cologne, perfume, mouthwash, aftershave, body spray, etc.
- Nail polish, nail polish remover, and hair color.
- Drugs, alcohol, paraphernalia, or weapons of any kind.
- Form-fitting clothing, low-cut tops, blouses with spaghetti straps, tank tops, bare midriffs, sleeveless t-shirts, mini-skirts, crop tops, and the like.
- Jeans and other clothing that has suggestive wear and tear.
- Clothing depicting sex, drugs, alcohol, violence, gambling, sports teams, and all other articles of clothing with logos.
- Excessive jewelry (earrings are fine but other body jewelry should be left at home)
- Cell phones (any cell phone brought will be kept in locked storage for the duration of treatment).
- Personal vehicles on the premises of Harbor House.
- Any outside candy, food, or beverages.
- Cigarette lighters (lighters are provided for individuals, and any lighters brought to the facility will be kept in locked storage for the duration of treatment).
- Any electrical item.
- Vaping pens, e-cigarettes, or Juuls.
- Non-recovery reading material, such as magazines, videos, movies, etc.
- Any type of pet.
- Any item(s) that staff may feel to be inappropriate for the facility will be locked in storage for the duration of treatment.
- Cash is not needed at the facility but debit cards and gift cards may be allowed for easier purchase of cigarettes and toiletries if there is no family member to bring items.